Katie went to the clinic on Thursday. We expected it to be a short day, but it turned into a long one - 6 hours. Katie's IGG level was low, so she had to get an IGG infusion - and that takes several hours - and costs 10,000 dollars. So, once again, we are glad for insurance! Katie also got her chemo that day as well.
Katie's ANC level was too high, so her doctor told us to increase the dose of chemo pills we give Katie on Fridays. We upped it from 7 pills to 8 & 1/2 - and it did what I guess it was supposed to do. It brought her down (literally). Katie woke up yesterday and today with a tummy ache and feeling nauseous. She has dark circles under her eyes, and she has been very tired and weak. She has put herself in bed the last two mornings and has taken an extra nap each day. It breaks our hearts to see her like this. She is also on steroids right now as well, and they are doing what they do.... Not fun!
This afternoon Katie asked (begged) to go on a walk, so I took her. About halfway around the block, Katie said, "This is further than what I thought it would be." So, I ended up carrying her the rest of the way. I didn't mind. =) She is very sweet.
Conner went with us to Katie's appointment - because like I said, we weren't expecting to be there very long. But I am glad Conner came with us. He was such a great big brother to Katie. She wanted him to hold her hand when she got her poke with the needle. Conner hugged her, kissed her, stood by her and held her hand through the whole process. I was so proud of him - and it was so sweet!
Later that same afternoon (late afternoon), I took Conner to our regular Pediatrician. I had made an appointment for him, because we have had some concerns about him. I could tell the doctor thought I was being silly or over reactive. He even asked me (somewhat sarcastically), "So you think he has Leukemia too?" I told him, "No, I don't think that, but we do have some concerns. Conner has been pale and something just doesn't seem to be right - and I haven't been able to shake the feeling." The doctor said he wouldn't give Conner a full blood test - like I wanted - but he agreed to at least test him for anemia. I waited there for the results. The doctor came back in the room (with a changed attitude) and told me, "Conner is anemic, and now we will need to do a full blood test!" I took Conner to the lab Friday morning for his blood draw (he was very brave). We hope and pray it is nothing more serious than anemia. (I have been assured that kids can get anemic, take the iron, and then everything is fine).
President Monson said, "I have found that, rather than dwelling on the negative, if we will take a step back and consider the blessings in our lives, including seemingly small, sometimes overlooked blessings, we can find greater happiness." ("Consider the Blessings," Ensign, November 2012)
Looks like it is time to find a new pediatrician. I hate when they make you feel like you are crazy! You did the right thing though. You knew something was wrong! Always go with your gut.
ReplyDeleteAs for katie. Poor baby! It would break my heart watching that little thing put herself to be bed. Kids aren't suppose to do that. They are suppose to want to stay up late and run crazy! Soon though! Soon she will be begging to stay up past her bed time and soon you will want her to just sleep! Then you will have a happy smile and be exhausted because they wore you out. Stay strong! We are still here praying.
Kelly